Monday, September 17, 2012

Remembering America's bloodiest single day

Today I am thinking of Antietam, for Sept. 17, 1862, always makes me circumspect about its significance. The outcome laid the groundwork for the Emancipation Proclamation and the reunification of this country. I think, also, of all those lives lost and shattered on the fields of western Maryland at Sharpsburg.
On this 150th anniversary, I recommend following the Facebook link below. The park staff been doing a great job the past week of posting fresh articles, photos and video, almost as they happen. I've included a few Picket links inspired by my 2010 visit.
Updates throughout the day from battlefield
Picket archives: Burnside the bumbler
Then and now photos of Bloody Lane, elsewhere
The serenity of Dunker Church
Lessons we've learned from Civil War medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment