Saturday, April 9, 2011

Appomattox: A place of peace

For months, like many of you, I've been reading about the approach of the sesquicentennial of the Civil War.

Folks, it's here.

I have been fascinated with the discussion about the war's legacy, why it happened, what we can learn from it.

At times, I am overwhelmed by it all.

That's when I let my mind wander to a quaint village in southwestern Virginia -- Appomattox Court House.

On April 9, 1865, (146 years ago today), Gen. Robert E. Lee surrendered his Army of Northern Virginia. Other units would follow suit in the following weeks.

The blood-letting was over.

Years ago, our family made a stop on the way to Washington, D.C. My kids loved the place -- it was that relaxing and peaceful.

Tomorrow, I head to Charleston, S.C., where the war started, to blog from Fort Moultrie, the Battery and other sites. Look for reports Monday into Wednesday.

I hope the next four years bring fruitful dialogue on the war. Calm, reasoned discussion and the realization that what we have in common is far greater than our differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment